What happens when a Moment is published?
Before observations are published as Moments, they are uploaded or captured as a Draft. Drafts are edited to include captions or notes, students, and learning or assessment standards. Once the Draft is complete, it is saved to Moments and can be shared with families.
Table of Contents:
- Creating and Capturing Moments
- Uploading Moments
- Saving Your Work
- Publishing Moments
- Sharing Moments
Creating and Capturing Moments
Moments can be captured as photos, videos, or anecdotes directly through the app by selecting the small green icons of the notepad and/or the camera on any screen within the app.
In the app, the notepad icon will allow you to capture observations as an anecdote. You can quickly add captions and notes, select students, and/or add tags directly through this option.
Anecdotes can also be added through the web portal by going to New Observation > selecting the green circle with the "+" and selecting "Add Anecdote."
Capturing Photos or Videos
Photos and videos can be captured directly through the app. The camera icon will open a camera, allowing you to capture photos or videos. You can select from photo or video and begin capturing by selecting the small white circle on the right of your screen. There are limits to the length of videos, determined by your plan. When you are capturing a video, you will have a countdown timer signaling the time that is remaining as you record.
Everything you initially capture will be stored in the "Drafts" section of the app, which is conveniently located at the top of the Menu. We recommend storing no more than 50 drafts as they take up storage space on your account so you will want to be sure to publish or delete them regularly.
While teachers are able to capture observations through the Kaymbu app, they can also upload photos and videos through the app or through the web portal my.kaymbu.com. Please note, if your program has Director Approval for Moments enabled, teachers will be able to finalize publishing Moments upon this approval. You can learn more about Director Approval for Moments here.
Upload Photos and Videos Through the App
- Navigate to the Drafts page by going to Menu > Drafts
- Select the small upload icon on the bottom left corner
- Select the photos or videos you would like to upload from your camera roll
Upload Photos and Videos Through the Web
- Navigate to the Drafts page by going to Menu > New Observation
- Select the small green circle with the "+" on the bottom right corner
- Select Upload Photo/Video
- Select the photo or video you wish to upload from your computer
After Drafts have been captured or uploaded in the app, they are only accessible through that same device. Drafts that are uploaded into the web will sync and be accessible on other web browsers and computers.
Saving Your Work
At any time, if you are working on a Draft and would like to save your work before publishing it, select the Drafts option, and your observation will be saved to the Drafts page. As a reminder, Drafts take up storage on your device so we recommend storing less than 50 Drafts.
When publishing an observation from the Drafts page to the Moments page, there are a few different sections and options to complete.
- Select the observation(s): You can choose to select one observation or select multiple observations to be published. To bulk select multiple observations in the app, select the green icon in the bottom right. To bulk select on the web, hover over the observations and select the white circle in the top right corner to bulk select.
- Edit photo(s): Photos can be rotated or cropped in the app by tapping on the photo and selecting "Edit" in the top right corner.
- Complete the observation: This could include a photo, video, or anecdote and includes the option to add a caption and more detailed notes.
- Select the applicable students and/or teachers: You have the option to select the entire class, teachers, multiple students, or individual students as applicable. You must make at least one selection to be able to publish.
- Add tags: If your school is using learning or assessment standards, you can select them from the Tags option. For more information about tags, click here.
- Select sharing options: You can make an observation private and not share it with families by selecting "More" and selecting the "Private" option or by selecting "Save to Moments." If you would like to share the observation, you can do so by selecting "Send Now" or "Send in Digest."
To learn more about managing Moments after they have been published, click here.
If you want to upload a larger group of photos at once, you can use the Bulk Publish feature! You may choose this option if you are uploading photos from a recent field trip or if there was a class activity in which everyone participated. To do this, you will select multiple observations from your Drafts page then the workflow will be the same. The text that you add will be applied to every Moment that was uploaded together.
To bulk select through the Kaymbu app, you select the green icon with the square at the bottom right of your screen and begin selecting the photos you'd like to bulk select. A green check in the top left corner indicates this Draft will be included in the bulk publish.
To bulk select through the web, hover over one of the Drafts you'd like to select, select the Draft by clicking on the white circle in the top left corner of the Draft. Continue to click on the white circles of the remaining Drafts you'd like to publish. A green check in the top left corner indicates this Draft will be included in the bulk publish.
There are several different ways you can choose to share Moments with families.
Selecting "Send Now" will send the Moment(s) immediately out to the families of the tagged student(s).
Send in Digest
"Send in Digest" will send the Moment(s) out at the scheduled time. The Family Digest allows you to schedule your Moments to go out automatically. For example, if your Digest is set to go out at 5:00 pm on Friday, your families will receive one email with all of the published moments from the previous week at that time. If you took a picture of a student at 1:00 pm on Tuesday and selected "Send to Digest," the picture would immediately be stored in the Moments page for you to reference, but wouldn't get sent to their family until Friday at 5:00 pm.
You can always edit the Moments before the Digest is sent! The Digest pulls information seconds before it is scheduled to send. For example, if your digest is scheduled to send at 5:00 pm you realized that you need to tag another student or add an anecdote, as long as you make the edits to this Moment prior to 5:00 pm, the newly updated information will be sent in the Digest!