Kaymbu for Families is a companion app to Kaymbu. This app enables families to receive custom, streamlined communication about their child(ren) from your program in a centralized feed! In addition, the app includes the option for a touchless drop-off feature, liability screening, and the ability for families to adjust their own contact information saved in the system.
This article outlines how families can download the app, the different components of the app, a full technical tutorial, and Frequently Asked Questions. If you are introducing the app to your families, be sure to use the PDF, Kaymbu for Families Overview, attached to this article, which explains all this information for families!
Table of Contents
Accessing the App
Families can download the app to their mobile devices by following these steps:
- Search for "Kaymbu for Families" in the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play (Android phones)
- Download the app
- Enter the email or phone number connected to your child's profile
- A four-digit pin will be sent to the email or phone number you entered
- Enter the four-digit pin to finish logging in!
Navigating the Family App
The Home section is a feed of all family engagement content the family receives from their children’s program(s). This content include Moments, Storyboards, and Portfolios that the program has decided to share with the family. If the family member is associated with multiple children, all of the children’s content will be visible in the Home Feed.
@Home is now also part of the Family App and can be found on the Home screen! If families click the green plus button, they will be able to upload photos from their device to share with you. These photos will upload directly into your classroom's Moments page with a "family submitted" tag.
The Messages section is specifically designed for any communication programs sent through the Messaging feature. Any Urgent Messages will be indicated with a red icon.
The Drop Off feature enables families a contactless drop off option for their children. When families are ready to sign their children in, they can navigate to the Drop Off section and select the green plus button located on the bottom right of the screen. If family members have multiple children, they will be prompted to select which child they are dropping off. If they only have one child, they will immediately be taken to the sign-in screen.
On the sign-in screen, families can write a drop-off note for administrators and teachers for the selected student. After agreeing to the page's liability text, they can select “Submit.”
- All Drop Off records can be viewed by the family from their Drop Off feed on their mobile devices.
- Teachers and administrators can see the Drop Off record through the Drop Off Notes Report.
- The liability text on the sign-in page can be customized by the program. To learn how to adjust the liability text, you can click here.
- The Drop Off section will only be available for families if the programs have the feature turned on through their Messaging Settings.
Families also have the ability to mark their child absent through the newly updated Attendance Notes feature on the Kaymbu for Families app. To add an absence from the Kaymbu for Families app, families can navigate to the Attendance Notes tab by selecting the clipboard icon at the bottom of the screen on their device.
Next, click on the green plus button in the bottom right corner and select “Absence.”
From there, families can select the reason for absence, add a note, and submit the absence report.
Once the absence note is submitted through the app, the student’s attendance will automatically update and reflect on the Attendance dashboard for teachers and administrators.
In addition to the Attendance dashboard, family-submitted absence notes can be viewed in the Attendance Log and in Attendance Reports.
- To view the Attendance Log, go to Menu > Attendance, then select the Log tab located on the top-right of the screen. Click on the student’s name to view the family-submitted absence note.
- To view an Attendance Report, go to Menu > Reports > Attendance & Activity > Attendance Summary. Then, click on the attendance status of the student. This will lead you to the Attendance Daily Student Summary for that particular student and any details provided in the absence note.
In the Profile section, families can see what contact information is registered in the system and the children that are associated with their family profile. Family members also can turn off their notifications on this page, if they choose to do so.
This technical tutorial below provides an overview of the Kaymbu for Families app, including more information about Drop Off and Liability Checks and answers to frequently asked questions.
What do families see in their Kaymbu app?
Families will see the Moments, Storyboards, Messages, and Daily Sheets shared by the classroom teacher. Families do NOT see a "live feed" of information (for example, a specific activity such as a nap in a Daily Sheet that hasn't been sent). Rather, families can view information after the classroom teacher has chosen to share the information!
- Families can NOT edit any of the information you share with them, such as photos with captions, Daily Sheets, content within Storyboards, etc. All media and content are still fully controlled on the school side!
- Families CAN edit their own contact information if needed. If a family member gets a new email address or decides to update their phone number, the individual can update this through the Profiles section in Kaymbu for Families. We hope this ends up resulting in less management work for schools!
How can I introduce the Kaymbu for Families app to families?
The PDF attached to this article - Kaymbu for Families Overview (also shown below) - is a straightforward document you can share with families! It will walk them through how to set up the Kaymbu for Families app, and provide a helpful overview of what they can do with the app.
Please sign in to leave a comment.