Wondering how to prepare your account for the new school year?
Here is a list of action items to make sure you are on track, including links to helpful articles with more detailed steps. You can also watch the webinar, Getting Ready for Next Year with Kaymbu, to watch us walk through these steps!
Table of Contents
- Update Classroom Settings
- Prepare the Roster
- Moments Page Updates
- Portfolio Updates
Update Classroom Settings
As you prepare for the new school year, you will want to make sure your Classroom settings have been updated. This can include making changes to the names of Classrooms, updating Messaging Settings, and/or adding new entities, such as Classrooms!
- Update Classroom names by visiting Settings on the menu. Select the specific classroom, then click the pencil icon to edit the name.
- Check classroom Messaging Settings by visiting Settings. Make sure you updated your Digest Settings, as well as options for Drop Off Notes and Liability Check. Finally, make sure the email addresses are up to date under the Family Reply Settings.
- If you need to add a new entity, including Classroom or Center, we are happy to help! You can learn more about your options for adding entities in this article.
Prepare the Roster
As you prepare your Roster for the new school year, you are able to make changes to the Students, Families, and Staff directly through your Roster!
At the start of a new school year, you may need to make updates to the Students on your Roster.
- Adding new Students will be important for any Students that are brand new to your program. Students can be added through the Roster by Teachers of that specific Classroom or by administrators.
- Students that are currently listed on your Roster can also be moved into their new classroom by the Teachers of the current classroom or by administrators.
- As Students exit your program or are no longer active, you can also choose to archive their profile. This is a great option as it allows you to maintain access to their data and they can be easily restored at any time!
- All changes to your Roster will automatically sync with the Daily Note app. If you notice that after making changes to your Roster, the Daily Note app has not updated, please try logging out and logging in again to refresh the Roster!
As Students move into new classrooms, the family profiles that are connected to them will also move. It may be a great idea at the beginning of the year to check in with families to make sure you have the right contact information and to see if any changes need to be made to the family members listed on the profile!
- If you need to make changes to the contact information for a family profile, you can do this through the Roster. You can learn more about how to do this here.
- Adding new family members can also be done through the Roster and just as a reminder, there is no limit to the number of family profiles!
- If you do have new families, it is a great idea to share some information about Kaymbu with them! Download the welcome letter here.
Preparing your Roster can also include adding, moving, or deleting users such as Teachers or Directors.
- Adding new users can be done through the Roster depending on your account level. Teachers can add other Teachers to their specific classroom whereas Administrators can add Teachers to any classroom within their Center or Organization.
- You can easily move Teachers from one classroom into another through the Roster. Teachers will be able to sign in with their same credentials and see their new classroom!
- As new staff members start using Kaymbu, they can access the Kaymbu webinar for new users by clicking here, or sign up for our free courses by visiting learn.kaymbu.com!
Moments Page Updates
As you are starting a new year, you may want to hide Moments from previous years, so that the Moments page only displays photos, videos, and anecdotes for the current year. If you'd like to do this you can update the date filter on your Moments page. To do this, select Moments at the top of the menu. At the top of the Moments page, select the Date filter, select the date of the first day of school and check the box to Set As Default Start Date. You can learn more about how to do this here.
Please note, Moments that are on the Moments page do not take up space on your computer or device and you do not need to delete them. Once they have been published, they are stored on the cloud and will not affect your storage so there is no need to delete them. However, Drafts that have not yet been published will take up storage in the app. We recommend starting the new year fresh by keeping the total number of Drafts saved to under 50!
If you have the Portfolio feature, you will also want to make some updates to your Portfolios to be ready for the new school year!
- Archive old Portfolio folders by going to the Portfolios tab on your menu, selecting the three dots in the bottom right corner of a folder, then click Archive. Please note that Portfolios will always remain in student profiles and follow those students to the next classroom. If you need to find the Portfolio of a specific student, go to Roster, click on their student profile and you can access it there.
- Create new Portfolio folders. You can learn more about this through the Creating and Editing Portfolios article.